Peer Reviewed Publications and Book Chapters
- “The Effect of Partisan Representation at Different Levels of Government on Satisfaction with Democracy in the United States.” 2021. State Politics & Policy Quarterly. With Stephen M. Utych.
- “Institutional Origins of Protective COVID-19 Public Health Policy Responses: Informational and Authority Redundancies and Policy Stringency.” 2020. Journal of Political Institutions and Political Economy 1(4): 585-613. With Olga Shvetsova, Andrei Zhirnov, Abdul Basit Adeel, Michael Catalano, Olivia Catalano, Frank Giannelli, Ezgi Muftuoglu, Tara Riggs, Mehmet Halit Sezgin, Naveed Tahir, and Tianyi Zhao.
- “COVID-19 Policy Response and the Rise of the Sub-National Governments.” 2020. Canadian Public Policy 46(4): 565-584. With Abdul Basit Adeel, Michael Catalano, Olivia Catalano, Grant Gibson, Ezgi Muftuoglu, Tara Riggs, Mehmet Halit Sezgin, Olga Shvetsova, Naveed Tahir, Tianyi Zhao, and Andrei Zhirnov.
- “Clientelism by Committee: The Effect of Legislator-Constituent Relationships on Legislative Organization.” 2019. Political Research Quarterly 73(3): 667-679. With Michael Touchton.
- “Industry Regulation.” 2019. With Carol Mershon and Olga Shvetsova. In Carol Mershon and Olga Shvetsova, eds., Formal Modeling in Social Science. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- “Winners, Losers, and Protest Behavior in Parliamentary Systems.” 2017. The Social Science Journal 54(1): 30-38.
- “Regions of Hierarchy and Security: US Troop Deployments, Spatial Relations, and Defense Burdens.” 2017. International Interactions 43(3): 397-423. With Michael Allen and Michael E. Flynn.
- “The Localized and Spatial Effects of US Troop Deployments on Host-State Defense Spending.” 2016. Foreign Policy Analysis 12(4): 674-694. With Michael Allen and Michael E. Flynn.
- “Democratic Breakdown in V for Vendetta.” 2016. In Michael A. Allen and Justin S. Vaughn, eds., Poli Sci Fi, An Introduction to Political Science through Science Fiction. New York: Routledge.
- “The Conditional Effects of Term Limits on Electoral Activities.” 2014. Politics and Policy 42(3): 431-458.
- “Bicameralism and the Logic of Party Organization.” 2013. Comparative Political Studies 47(8): 715-742. With William B. Heller.
- Data file (STATA format)
- “COVID-19 Policy Response in Argentina, Brazil, and Mexico: Three Different National-Subnational Responses.” 2020. The Duck of Minerva. With Olga Shvetsova and Andrei Zhirnov.
- “Brazilian Federalism and State Level Policy Responses to the COVID-19 Pandemic.” 2020. The Blue Review. With Olga Shvetsova and Andrei Zhirnov.
- “Another Contested Election.” 2018. The Blue Review.
- “Why Can’t People Just Accept it?” 2016. The Blue Review.