Peer Reviewed Publications and Book Chapters
- “Federal Institutions and Strategic Policy Responses to COVID-19 Pandemic.” 2021. Frontiers in Political Science, Elections and Representation. With Olga Shvetsova, Andrei Zhirnov, Abdul Basit Adeel, Michael Catalano, Olivia Catalano, Frank Giannelli, Ezgi Muftuoglu, Dina Rosenberg, Mehmet Halit Sezgin, and Tianyi Zhao.
- “The Effect of Partisan Representation at Different Levels of Government on Satisfaction with Democracy in the United States.” 2021. State Politics & Policy Quarterly. With Stephen M. Utych.
- “Institutional Origins of Protective COVID-19 Public Health Policy Responses: Informational and Authority Redundancies and Policy Stringency.” 2020. Journal of Political Institutions and Political Economy 1(4): 585-613. With Olga Shvetsova, Andrei Zhirnov, Abdul Basit Adeel, Michael Catalano, Olivia Catalano, Frank Giannelli, Ezgi Muftuoglu, Tara Riggs, Mehmet Halit Sezgin, Naveed Tahir, and Tianyi Zhao.
- “COVID-19 Policy Response and the Rise of the Sub-National Governments.” 2020. Canadian Public Policy 46(4): 565-584. With Abdul Basit Adeel, Michael Catalano, Olivia Catalano, Grant Gibson, Ezgi Muftuoglu, Tara Riggs, Mehmet Halit Sezgin, Olga Shvetsova, Naveed Tahir, Tianyi Zhao, and Andrei Zhirnov.
- “Clientelism by Committee: The Effect of Legislator-Constituent Relationships on Legislative Organization.” 2019. Political Research Quarterly 73(3): 667-679. With Michael Touchton.
- “Industry Regulation.” 2019. With Carol Mershon and Olga Shvetsova. In Carol Mershon and Olga Shvetsova, eds., Formal Modeling in Social Science. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- “Winners, Losers, and Protest Behavior in Parliamentary Systems.” 2017. The Social Science Journal 54(1): 30-38.
- “Regions of Hierarchy and Security: US Troop Deployments, Spatial Relations, and Defense Burdens.” 2017. International Interactions 43(3): 397-423. With Michael Allen and Michael E. Flynn.
- “The Localized and Spatial Effects of US Troop Deployments on Host-State Defense Spending.” 2016. Foreign Policy Analysis 12(4): 674-694. With Michael Allen and Michael E. Flynn.
- “Democratic Breakdown in V for Vendetta.” 2016. In Michael A. Allen and Justin S. Vaughn, eds., Poli Sci Fi, An Introduction to Political Science through Science Fiction. New York: Routledge.
- “The Conditional Effects of Term Limits on Electoral Activities.” 2014. Politics and Policy 42(3): 431-458.
- “Bicameralism and the Logic of Party Organization.” 2013. Comparative Political Studies 47(8): 715-742. With William B. Heller.
- Data file (STATA format)
- “How America’s partisan divide over pandemic responses played out in the states.” 2021. The Conversation. With Olga Shvetsova.
- “COVID-19 Policy Response in Argentina, Brazil, and Mexico: Three Different National-Subnational Responses.” 2020. The Duck of Minerva. With Olga Shvetsova and Andrei Zhirnov.
- “Brazilian Federalism and State Level Policy Responses to the COVID-19 Pandemic.” 2020. The Blue Review. With Olga Shvetsova and Andrei Zhirnov.
- “Another Contested Election.” 2018. The Blue Review.
- “Why Can’t People Just Accept it?” 2016. The Blue Review.